Wednesday, December 26, 2018

FREETHINKER'S HOLIDAY "GRACE"



Just before Christmas of 2018, I had the pleasure of having dinner with some folks I have been seeing at that time of the year for a long time.  It was a convivial and happy time, per usual.

Prior to the serving of dinner, a grace was delivered by one of those present, most of whom are deeply and sincerely religious.  I hope I am properly respectful, but I am not religious.

Nevertheless, I thought the giving of thanks was most appropriate, so I decided to create my own Freethinker’s Holiday "Grace” to adequately (I hope) embrace the spirit of the Season without any particular “encumbrances.”

Feel free to use any part of it you wish.


FREETHINKER’S HOLIDAY “GRACE”
(12/24/18)

LET US BE THANKFUL for the company of our loved ones and friends with whom we are so fortunate to spend this evening;

LET US BE THANKFUL for their unconditional love and affection for us, and for our ability and readiness to return it in kind;

LET US BE THANKFUL for the wonderful food that we are about to eat and for those who worked so hard to buy it, prepare it, cook it and serve it to us;

LET US BE THANKFUL that we do not have to suffer the hunger and deprivation and poverty and hatred and danger that afflict so many others around the globe;

LET US BE THANKFUL that we will always be mindful of those afflictions and do whatever we can to alleviate them;

LET US BE THANKFUL that we have the freedom to express our thoughts and opinions without fear of pain or government sanction, even if others are thus annoyed—let us also be thankful for the wisdom to know when to keep our mouths shut;

LET US BE THANKFUL that we have the freedom to express these thanks to and in the name of any who may be thus invoked.

AMEN.

No comments: